THE EDIBLE COUNTRY -GUNNEBO
When you book the table at Gunnebo House and Gardens you’ll get to enjoy delicious ingredients from the kitchen garden, freshly baked bread from the bakery and the hand picked herbs. The table is located by idyllic lake Stensjön and surrounded by resplendent oak trees, in Gunnebo’s leafy historic country estate just outside Gothenburg.
How does it work?
Do-it-Yourself dining table. Except for the architecture and sorroundings, visitors come here for the delicious seasonal food. Organic vegetables and herbs from the kitchen gardens are made use of and served to guests. When you book the table at Gunnebo the menu consists of a filling lunch with bread and Swedish fika from the bakery.
All this is included in a DIY-experience where you cook the meal yourselves, 200 SEK /person
This is what you will receive:
- A basket with ingredients to cook the meal
- Bread and cakes from their own bakery, and organic coffee.
- All the equipment you’ll need to make the food yourselves.
- Recipe created by Gunnebo’s chefs and information about how to find the table. You’ll also find tips about what to forage locally, to add a little something extra to the food (like herbs or berries, if they are in season).
- The basket and cooking kit are collected at Gunnebo Coffee House and Restaurant. No chef is included in the price.
How to make a reservation?
- Available April 22 to September 23
- It can be booked by two parties at the same time, with room for 8 people in total.
- You pay with a credit card within 72 hours after your booking otherwise your booking will automatically be cancelled.
- A cancellation must be made no later than 24 hours before arrival, later cancellation means full charge. Also note that Gunnebo has the right to cancel a reservation in case of extreme weather or fireban.
THE EDIBLE COUNTRY AT GUNNEBO HOUSE
Gunnebo’s well preserved 18th century manor, the formal gardens, kitchen gardens and grounds is the perfect place for recreation when you want a dose of peaceful natural scenery instead of bustling city life. Over 200 original drawings and water colours formed the basis for the Gunnebo we see today. The House is situated between two lakes, just 15 minutes from the centre of Gothenburg, and easily reached by public transport. Gunnebo House is one of the most popular visitor attractions in the region. The building is widely known for its neoclassical architecture and well maintained gardens. A short walk takes you to the lovely oak grove.
Lovely area for walks
Around the house both gardens and the natural landscapes are lavishly planted. In the historic grounds covering approximately 100 hectares there are plenty of lovely trails, for both shorter walks and longer hikes. These include a pushchair and wheelchair friendly round walk, among others. Take the opportunity to go on a guided tour of the house, where our knowledgeable guides will relate fascinating stories about the first owner, John Hall, one of Sweden’s richest men, and the other families that lived there. East of the kitchen garden lies Gunnebo Farm, where children can say hi to the horses and cows and have fun in the play area.
Fifteen minutes away Gothenburg awaits, with a huge choice of sights and activities, including Scandinavia’s biggest amusement park, Liseberg, Universeum’s impressive rain forest and an archipelago on the doorstep with fantastic beaches and paddling waters.
If you want to make your stay extra special, we recommend the following:
- Guided tour of the House – Gunnebo House and Gardens was built as a country residence for the prosperous merchant John Hall and his family. The neoclassical house stands on a hill, with a view of the surrounding countryside. Let our guides entertain you with the fascinating history of the Hall family’s rise and fall. Guided tours in Swedish and English take place daily from 23 June – 31 August.
- Canoing, mini golf and swimming – Lake Stensjö offers lovely canoeing and refreshing dips. Hire a canoe and finish off with a round of mini golf and a dip in the lake. Stensjö Center (NB! Pre-booking is recommended)
- Walk the Bohusleden Trail – Gunnebo’s historic estate is surrounded by very beautiful country¬side. Take the opportunity to extend your day by walking part of the Bohusleden Trail, stage 1 Blåvättnerna-Stensjön or stage 2 Stensjön-Skatås.
Visit Sweden has placed more than 20 wooden tables across Sweden. Information about the Edible Country and the other tables in Sweden, please see here.Enjoy your close to nature food experience in Sweden – The Edible Country. Gunnebo House and Gardens, in collaboration with the West Sweden Tourist Board and Visit Sweden